ZKB Building, Neue Hard, Zurich, Remediation planning and management of asbestos removal project
Location: Neue Hard, Zürich
Client: Zurich Cantonal Bank
Construction management: SRT Architekten, Zürichbergstrasse 98, 8044 Zurich
Phases: Hazardous materials investigation, planning, project management, air sample testing
Duration: 2017 - 2019
Zurich Cantonal Bank’s main building at Neue Hard in Zurich was renovated and refurbished in stages. In the course of the contamination investigation, various construction materials containing asbestos were identified and remediated prior to the renovation work.
The remediation work was carried out on the basis of a detailed project drafted by Ecosens in coordination with the competent authorities (UGZ, SUVA), which took account of the structure, function and use of the surrounding parts of the building, as well as the location and levels of contamination. The remediation work was conducted and managed by Ecosens.
- Sampling and inspecting construction materials suspected of containing hazardous materials (asbestos, PAH, PCB)
- Detailed planning, conceptual design and tendering of the remediation project
- Coordinating and supervising the remediation work
- Managing and documenting regular construction meetings
- Inspecting the work of the asbestos specialist
- Concealed building materials containing asbestos present in old firewalls on wall openings above suspended ceilings.
- A complex building with assorted vertical structures (staircases, lift shafts, waste chutes, ventilation shafts, etc.)
- Risk of uncontrolled release of asbestos fibres
- Monitoring the building’s air flow