Success factors impacting on implementation in various environmental sectors
BAFU study on “Success factors impacting on implementation in various environmental sectors”
In recent decades, implementation in the various environmental sectors has varied a great deal. Although there are environmental sectors with successful implementation, there are others with major implementation deficits. The Swiss Federal Office for the Environment (BAFU) is convinced that information about the specific success factors in environmental sectors with successful implementation can contribute to the elimination of implementation deficits in other sectors.
Phase 1 of the applied research commission analysed the factors impacting on successful implementation in 5 “well-functioning” environmental sectors, i.e. forest maintenance, forest reservations, mobile phone networks, municipal waste and building waste. Phase 2 focused on discussions about their transferability to the 3 “less well-functioning” environmental sectors, i.e. traffic noise, biodiversity and qualitative soil protection. The most important success factors, which can serve to optimise future implementation, have turned out to be the following:
- Public pressure and political will
- Clear, practical and coherent legal basis and implementation aids
- Ensuring the financing of the measures to be implemented (incl. financial incentives)
- High levels of expertise and adequate personnel and financial resources of implementation participants
- An effective control system and meaningful monitoring
- Good collaboration between the authorities (both vertical and horizontal)
- Good collaboration between the authorities and the relevant economic sectors
- Active and targeted communication
- Supporting framework conditions
In addition to two other consulting companies, Ecosens was involved in the entire course of the project, especially the analysis of the environmental sectors mobile radio network, municipal waste and building waste, as well as traffic noise.